Recount Text

1. Definition


Recount text is a text that telling the reader about one story, action or activity. Its goal is to entertaining or informing the reader. Recount is a text which retells event or experiences in the past.
  
2. Purpose


The communicative purpose of recount texts are:

·         To tell events in the time order that have happened

·         To retell events for the purpose of informing or entertaining.

·         To provide the audience with a description of what occurred and when it occurred

·         To retell one’s past experience.

3. Generic Structure


Ø  Orientation : It gives the readers the background information needed to understand the text, such as who was involved, where it happened, and when it happened.

Ø  Events : A series of events, ordered in a chronological sequence.

Ø  Re-orientation : A personal comment about the event or what happened in the end



Example :



My Adventure at Leang Cave



Orientation :

On Sunday, my parents, my best fruend Novi, and I visited a cave at Maros called Leang-leang . It was my first time to visit the cave, better yet, my best friend came to visit it with me!



Event 1 :

The cave was famous for its primitive cave wall paintings which were some hand prints and wild boar paintings. The cave and its surroundings was turned into a national park, so it was taken care of. My parents took a rest in a small hut for visitors of the park, while Novi and I adventured around the cave with a guide. We had to climb some metal stairs to get to the cave, because the cave was embedded into a small mountain. Next stop was a place where some seashells littered the ground and some were actually piled into a big mound! The guide said that these piles of seashells are called kjokkenmoddinger, or kitchen trash.



Event 2:

The humans who lived here ate the shells and dumped the left overs in their kitchen. The last place was a small museum where they have skeletons of the humans who lived in the caves. The skeletons along with some roughly made jewelry and weapons were placed inside glass cases for display. The walls of the museum were adorned with photographs taken when they did an excavation there.



Reorientation :

After a quick lunch with Novi and my parents, we decided it was time to go back home. We really had the time of our lives!
  
4. Kind Of Recount Text


1.      Personal

v  Retell an event in which the writer or the author got involved or acted in the event him/herself. à an experience

Ex: The writer’s trip to Paris, the writer’s wedding day, etc.

2.      Factual

v  A note of an event, such as scientific experiment report, police report, newspaper report, history explanation

3.      Imaginative

v  applying factual knowledge to an imaginary role à to interpret and recount events

Ex: A Day in the Life of a Roman Slave

4.      Procedural

v  recording the steps in an investigation or experiment and thereby providing the basis for reported results or findings

v  Ex: How money was made
 
5. Leanguage Features


- Focus on specific participant, e.g. I (the writer)
- Using the conjunctions, such as: then, before, after, etc.
- Using action verb,, e.g. went, stayed
Using the simple past tense, past continuous tense, past perfect tense, and past perfect continuous tense.
-   Using linking verb; was, were, saw, heard, etc
Using temporal sequence, e.g. On Saturday. On Monday, On Sunday

6. Example
  
Excample 1


PANGANDARAN BEACH

The tour to Pangandaran Beach started on holiday last semester. We decided to go to Pangandaran Beach by our motorbike. That was very interesting tour. Riding a motorbike from my hometown, Cirebon, to Pangandaran Beach with my best friends made me feel exited.

The tour to Pangandaran Beach began at 09.00 a.m. in the morning and it took 5 hours riding to Pangandaran Beach. There were so many story that my friends and I got when we were in the tour such as there was my friend who got lost, ran out of fuel in the middle of jungle, and so forth. But it was interesting, because it was the first moment that I ever had in touring.

We arrived at Pangandaran Beach at 02.00 p.m. and we stright to move to the beach. At beach we just lied down there to stretch our muscle because of 5 hours riding. We also had a lunch there by eating some foods that we brought from Cirebon. That was very nice moment when we shared our own food to others.

After we had enough rest, we began to explore Pangandaran Beach. Started by exploring the beach, and the sea using rented boat. Then we went to dive by renting some diving equipment. We could see many coral there. We just had 2 hours to enjoy Pangandaran Beach because we had to come back to Cirebon.

We came back to Cirebon at 04.00 p.m. It was imposible to ride in the night, so we just decided to stay over in our friend house in Ciamis and we started to come back in the morning. That was very nice experience that I and my friends ever had. We would never forget that moment.


  
Example 2

MY HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE

Let me remind you my experience during an earthquake last week. When the earthquake happened, I was on my car. I was driving home from my vacation to Bali. Suddenly my car launched to one side, to the left. I thought I got flat tire. I did not know that it was an earthquake. I knew it was an earthquake when I saw some telephone and electricity poles falling down to the ground, like matchsticks.

Then I saw a lot of rocks tumbling across the road. I was trapped by the rock. Even I could not move my car at all. There were rocks everywhere. There was nothing I could do but left the car and walked along way to my house, in the town.

When I reached my town, I was so surprised that there was almost nothing left. The earthquake made a lot of damage to my town. Although nothing was left, I thanked God that nobody was seriously injured.
 

7. Learning Suggestion

1. learn more about grammar and practice more in writing recount texts. It is also good to read a lot of English texts in order to help them be more familiar with English structure so that they can produce better writing.

2. Watch a videotape of someone talking about recount text. So you can pratice how to tell your past experience in form of recount text, without writing it first.

 8. Conlusion



1.      Definition              : Recount is a text which retells event or experiences in the past.



2.      Purpose                : to retell the time order about a story in the past and to entertaining or informing something



3.      Generic Stucture   : orientation, event, re – orientation.



4.      Language Feature : use the specific participant, conjunctions, action verb, and using past tenses.



5.      Kind Of Recount  : personal, factual, imaginative  and procedural
                                                                                              







0 komentar